- 1 The drug against yeast infection – Diflucan (Fluconazole)
- 2 The drug against yeast infection – Fluconazole
- 3 Features of development and course of yeast infection of the vagina during pregnancy
- 4 How to diagnose a disease?
- 5 Various options for treatment of candidiasis in women
- 6 How to prevent the occurrence of thrush (yeast infection of the vagina)?
Yeast infection of the vagina (Thrush) is a non-dangerous, but rather unpleasant disease, leading to a decrease in the quality of life. Candidiasis is considered a female disease, although it affects both men and newborn children. To treat thrush in each case, antifungal drugs are prescribed, which can be applied topically – in the form of ointments and creams, or orally – in the form of tablets.
The modern pharmaceutical market offers a fairly large number of drugs for treatment of thrush. The most common of them today are Diflucan and Fluconazole.
The drug against yeast infection – Diflucan (Fluconazole)
One of the best drugs for the treatment of thrush (yeast infection of the vagina), made on the basis of fluconazole, is Diflucan. Taking one capsule of the drug at the first manifestation of the disease guarantees its cure in 90% of cases. A longer course of treatment is required only if the thrush makes itself felt more often than three times a year.
Before entering the pharmaceutical market, the Diflucan drug has been tested in more than 20 countries around the world. More than four thousand patients took part in the research. Most of them were well tolerated, and only in rare cases, its use caused an insignificant allergic reaction. Diflucan is indicated in the treatment of thrush in newborns.
The preparation can be used in the form of capsules, powder for the preparation of a suspension, syrup or solution for intravenous administration.
Treatment with Diflucan can begin when the first signs of thrush appear, without waiting for a medical examination, because its main active substance – fluconazole is completely safe for the body. With vaginal candidiasis, one capsule of the drug is usually taken. There are no serious contraindications to its use. The drug is dispensed from the pharmacy without a doctor’s prescription.
The drug against yeast infection – Fluconazole
Fluconazole is a modern remedy of a wide spectrum of action. This drug has a pronounced activity against fungi of the genus Candida, which are the main causative agent of yeast infection (thrush). Its main active ingredient, fluconazole, is recognized by gynecologists around the world as the best means of combating genital candidiasis.
The studies carried out by specialists of different countries for a long period of time confirmed his complete safety and effectiveness in the treatment of candidiasis. Currently, Fluconazole has been approved by the World Health Organization.
The main difference between Fluconazole and topical preparations is that it acts not from the outside but from the inside of the body and ensures the destruction of the fungus not only on the mucous membrane of the vagina, but also in all places of its possible localization. For example, in the oral cavity. Fluconazole has a negative effect only on the cells of fungi, without affecting the healthy microflora of the body. Therefore, taking the drug does not lead to the development of dysbacteriosis.
To eliminate the main symptoms of the disease, many patients only need one capsule of Fluconazole. Only 150 mg of the drug is able to have its therapeutic effect for several days. Within two hours after its administration, itching and burning sensation decreases. The full effect of the drug is achieved, usually after 24 hours after taking the capsule. By its effectiveness, one capsule of fluconazole can be compared with a weekly course of application of suppositories and other topical agents.
The main advantage of using this drug is the absence of discomfort, which occurs when using candles and creams. Treatment can begin any day of the cycle, even during menstruation, regardless of the time of day. A woman may take Fluconazole during oral contraceptives or when using condoms during intercourse. This drug can be bought at any pharmacy at an attractive price and without a doctor’s prescription.
Features of development and course of yeast infection of the vagina during pregnancy
During the period of gestation, the female organism is especially vulnerable to environmental factors. Almost every second pregnant girl becomes a victim of candidiasis, even if before that she had no such problems. On the emergence of thrush during the period of bearing the baby are affected by the following factors:
- hormonal changes in the body;
- adaptation of the pregnant body to the development of the child;
- impossibility of full hygiene of genitals on late terms;
- decreased activity of the immune system;
- malnutrition and lack of necessary vitamins.
Clinical manifestations of candidiasis in expectant mothers practically do not differ from the typical picture of the disease. Itching may increase due to increased urination, the amount of secretion significantly exceeds the norm. There is also a predominance of general symptoms: excessive fatigue, periodic dizziness, irritability and nervousness reach a peak.
Such manifestations can adversely affect not only the condition of the pregnant woman, but also the health of the fetus.
How to diagnose a disease?
With the first signs of such a disease you need to contact a gynecologist. Often, the diagnosis can be made on the basis of visual examination data, since the smell and type of secretions with thrush are quite specific.
Often candidiasis is combined with other diseases of the reproductive system, which significantly complicates the differential diagnosis. During all time in the medical laboratory, physicians have often participated in complex studies of the microflora of the vagina. Under the mask of candidiasis, many chronic pathologies can occur according to the type of ureoplasmosis, gonorrhea (gonorrhea) or trichomoniasis.
Methods of differential diagnosis:
1. Microscopic examination of the smear. Using a special cotton bud from the surface of the vulva and from the vagina a small amount of excreta is taken. They are placed on a glass and studied at a sufficient magnification. Thus, it is possible to detect pathogens of the disease at an early stage.
2. Ultrasound examination helps to determine the degree of prevalence of the pathological process. With prolonged flow of thrush in the uterus, you can see the accumulation of fluid. Ultrasound also shows the presence of connective tissue adhesions.
Various options for treatment of candidiasis in women
Thrush therapy is a very long and complex process, which can often take much longer than the patient expects. But in no case should not interrupt the course of treatment: this can result in rather unpleasant consequences and chronization of the pathological process.
Typically, doctors recommend starting therapy for uncomplicated forms of candidiasis by adhering to a special diet, douching and medicines for external use. In parallel with this, one must constantly monitor the hygiene of the genital organs. In a more severe case, systemic pharmaceutical agents are used.
Treatment of the sexual partner is an obligatory process. Without this, complete recovery is impossible, since infection will occur with every subsequent sexual contact without protection.
Medicaments therapy of yeast infection
Pharmaceutical drugs used to treat candidiasis, are divided into local and general. The first group can be used for both men and women: they are applied to the surface of the mucous membranes of the external genitalia (ointments, gels, creams) and quickly absorbed. Drugs of general action are effective in more advanced forms of the disease and can get rid of the problem from the inside.
Drugs for topical application:
1. Antiseptic solutions for washing the vagina. They allow not only to effectively remove existing secretions, but also prevent the development of bacterial infection. Most often for this purpose use: Miramistin, Chlorhexidine, Hydrogen peroxide, Furacilin.
2. Local antifungal agents disrupt the growth and development of the fungus on the surface of the mucous membranes. Currently, the following medicines are widely used: Ambiz, Fungizone, Mikozolon, Nizoral, Ginesol, Daktanol, Fulcin, Miconazole.
3. Healing ointments and gel are used in the presence of traumatic injuries (scrapes, cracks, scratches). Most often appointed Bepanthen, Dexpanthenol, Panthoderm.
Drugs for systemic treatment of yeast infection (thrush):
1. Immunostimulants contribute to the formation of cells that destroy Candida fungi. Of this group most commonly used are Viferon, Cycloferon, Timogen, Timalin, Tactivine, Ergoferon, Immunoglobulin.
2. Antifungal agents of systemic influence help to get rid of the causative agent of the disease when it is localized in internal organs. The following preparations are acceptable: Fluconazole, Flucostat, Diflucan, Itraconazole, Kanazol, Voriconazole, Vfend.
3. Antihistamines medications can reduce the swelling and itching of soft tissues. To this end, they use: Dimedrol, Tavegil, Clemastine, Supradyn, Loratadine.
4. Probiotics and prebiotics restore the normal microflora. Most often apply Lineks, Enterol, Bifiform, Bifidumbacterin.
Treatment of chronic thrush
With candidiasis lasting more than half a year, the fungus acquires a pronounced resistance to virtually all known drugs. This greatly complicates therapy, as the intensity of symptoms increases during each exacerbation. To this end, physicians use physiotherapeutic procedures:
1. Ultraviolet irradiation – allows to kill most microorganisms;
2. Inductothermy – the use of magnetic fields to strengthen immunity;
3. Hydrogen sulfide baths help to normalize the microflora;
4. Electrophoresis – the introduction of medications in the body with the help of an electric current.
How to prevent the occurrence of thrush (yeast infection of the vagina)?
One of the most important aspects of modern medicine is prevention. Many doctors are sure that any disease will be more effective than prevented later by overloading the body with pharmaceutical preparations. For this purpose, public events devoted to the problem of candidiasis in women are held regularly.
Rules for individual prophylaxis of thrush:
1. Try to buy a comfortable underwear made of natural fabrics. Thongs often bring their owners a lot of discomfort: they dig into the crotch and feel every movement. This becomes one of the leading factors in the transmission of bacteria and fungi to the mucous membrane of the vagina. Physicians advise using seamless cotton linen or with a minimum amount of elastic fibers to reduce friction.
2. Avoid using daily pads or change them every two to three hours. But even for three hours of continuous wearing (in the hot season – in sixty minutes) they become a real breeding ground for microorganisms.
Daily pads during prolonged use provoke thrush development.
3. Before any sexual contact, be sure to use barrier means of protection – condoms. Even the most reliable and time-tested partner can earn thrush because of decreased immunity. In men, this disease is almost asymptomatic, so up to 90% of them do not even know about the presence of the disease.
4. If there is no or insufficient amount of lubricant, use a lubricant. You can buy it at any pharmacy or in a specialized store. During intercourse, when the vagina is dry, microscopic cracks and traumas often appear, through which the fungus infiltrates. It begins to actively grow and multiply in places of rupture. Using an artificial lubricant will help to avoid this. Remember that you can not use various creams, oils, shower gels and so on as a lubricant: this breaks the normal microflora of the vagina.
Intimate lubrication reduces the risk of damage to the mucous membrane.
5. Do not use medication without a doctor’s prescription. Many of them (especially antibiotics and immunosuppressants) have a suppressive effect on the normal microorganisms of the human body. As a result, the equilibrium shifts, and the internal environment acquires acidity, in which fungi develop perfectly. When taking antibacterial drugs, all doctors prescribe probiotics – drugs that support the optimal microflora in the vagina and in the intestines.
To date, it has been proven that thrush is not only a disease of weakened immunity, but also a serious ailment that can occur even in the healthiest women. It affects both adults and newborn babies and faces of the older generation. Such a disease in the future can negatively affect the reproductive function and lead to various complications: that’s why you should not ignore the main symptoms of the disease.
Doctors recommend immediately seeking specialized care without trying to be treated at home. Self-treatment in 70% of cases leads to a chronic process.